“It’s like Tolstoy said. Happiness is an allegory, unhappiness a story.”
Haruki Murakami – He is Japanese writer. He has written many bestseller including Kafka on the shore. No doubt as name goes his writing is to a some extent inspired by Franz Kafka.
- Kafka Tamura – 15 year old Run away Kid. Well read for his age and Lonely.
- Nakata – Old man with Few or No Memory of childhood, can’t read but something makes him Interesting protagonist.
- Oshima – Half man and Half women, wait a minute we can not even say that, but this guy take conversation to different level. You will reread his conversation for sure.
- Hoshino – Helping hand to Nakata, Keeps story light and humorous.
- Ms Saeki – I don’t have words to explain this character. (sorry)
- White Stone
- Food (you must notice how food is mentioned in almost all chapters)
- Painting and Song (Kafka on the shore)
- Pages – 615
- Chapters – 49
- Time to Read – 12 hours plus (250 wpm reading speed)
IT IS A COMPLETE PAGE TURNER, IF YOU ARE INTO SUCH KIND OF READING SKIP REVIEW AND GARB YOUR COPY.
The Character in the book are strong and almost make you relate to yourself. Everyone is searching for their own self, fun part is some of them know it some know after they found it. The Conversation are bit longer and takes time to understand at times.
Plot had not only twist and turns but some out of the imagination scenes like raining fish or leeches, Colonel Sanders appearing, Johnie Walker appearing will make you read even more.
Book is long but mind you it will keep you hooked till end, though end may make you think about whole book again.
Who should try ?
Reader with interest in spirit traveling, openness to accept love as it is, and abstract concept.
Who can refrain ?
I will suggest everyone to read but if you are not into abstract things or like Happy Endings. you may give a pass.